PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 - FMA Modes: THR vs SPD
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2020, 02:44
Vessbot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
These are not examples of the edge of envelope but well beyond it. You don't follow a procedure of stall recovery for normal approach. Whenever one is tracking a flight path it is maintained by pitch and speed managed by thrust. It's straight forward. When thrust is constant whether at idle or climb you are not tracking a flight path but maintaining a certain speed so obviously it has to be maintained by pitch.
I wrote some subtle and detailed things in that post, that you seemed to skip right over to argue against something I didn’t say. What I did say about a normal approach is in the paragraph that starts with “An even more...”

But if subtleties aren’t the order of the day, I’ll say something blunt here instead:

In a “stall recovery” your AOA is too high and you must reduce it. Period.

In a “normal approach” with low airspeed, your AOA is too high and you must reduce it. Period.

(Also it is very much not “straight forward” that speed is managed by thrust, whether you’re tracking a flight path or not. If it was, then if your speed was low then you could straight forwardly fix it by simply increasing thrust. And that is simply not the case. I remember vividly one event flying with a student I’d flown with for years, at a new airport in a slightly stressed situation. His airspeed got a little low, I prodded him “watch your airspeed,” and in a startle he simply added some throttle, and we lost more airspeed. That’s when I did a Captain Picard double facepalm and lost some hope that everybody can be really taught to fly.)

Last edited by Vessbot; 30th Mar 2020 at 12:50.