PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2020, 11:54
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR View Post
And the pilot was also responsible for assuring maintenance compliance? Hmmm... I think that could be better arranged!
Quite some years ago my club had an Stampe SV4 (old vintage single engine aircraft) that we used to advertise especially during airshows. I was one of its pilots back then .
However on that particular aircraft maintenance was done by old retired mechanics , all volunteers, and the so called "post-it" culture prevailed. (you know, the yellow sticky papers) . i.e., never write anything down on the logs otherwise the aircraft would have been grounded most of the time. So the maintenance book , if checked, was always in order . But we all knew how maintenance was really done. This was long ago and I was young and accepted things I probably will not anymore, and definitively not carry pax .. . But I know this "post-it culture "is still there when you want to operate very old aircraft. Not an excuse , just stating facts
Now , that said, what I read here in the report about magnetos and sparks plugs indicate quite another level of disregarding the rules., basically having botched the 50h or 100h maintenance checks.,Everyone knows that this is and was no-go., even back then...