PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas stand down 20,000 employees till end of May
Old 28th Mar 2020, 22:11
IsDon01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dragun
In this terrible analogy, did the rebuilding of the country's economy depend on the bloke's house who had the long grass?
Are you seriously suggesting the rebuilding of the country depends upon one tiny, tinpot, poorly run, foreign owned airline that was close to bankruptcy before this COVID mess and will likely be bankrupt a within a year regardless of whether the government throws millions at their foreign owners or not?

Get a reality grip!

I was unemployed after the Ansett debacle. I get where these comments come from, I was there less than 20 years ago. Looking back though, the government baling out of Ansett would have been a bad idea then, and it would be a bad idea if they did it with Virgin today.

I empathise with employees of Virgin, I really do. Just like I empathise with those that lost their jobs when Holden closed their doors after sucking billions of taxpayer dollars, of your money, to prop up an industry that was always going to fail. It’s not your fault that you company has been run into the ground by a bunch of self-serving, incompetent, corporate psychopaths. As is always the case, those that caused the mess never suffer hurt they cause. Look at those that created the GFC. Most walked away with their corporate golden parachutes intact. The fact is though that throwing taxpayer dollars at a company to temporarily save it from going under is a bad idea. You would be far better off taking the hundreds of millions required and splitting that money up equally between the employees. That has far more economic impact than throwing good money after bad.

Put this mess behind you. Move on with your lives, as I had to in 2001.