PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2020, 13:05
Stuckinmuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertP
Thank you for this information. Very interesting and also concerning. I find the information that the pilot in command was also the Director of Maintenance most concerning as presumably he is and was responsible for all the other aircraft within the maintenance organisation. An unacceptable conflict of interests in my opinion . I have been a director of maintenance here in Canada and cannot imagine ever being in this position.
very sad.
I cannot and won't comment on the operational procedures of the individual crew (as this is still part of the investigation) but I can assure you that other crews (I can speak personally for those on the P-51) were and always have been fully aware of all operating procedures and were bang-on with any maintenance whether scheduled or not.
As far as the pilot of the B-17 being 'Director of maintenance' that was for the B-17 and the other aircraft while on tour (although as previously stated, each crew were responsible for their aircraft and knew full well what was expected of them to maintain them to the highest standards) but annual inspection, maintenance and overhaul was carried out on all aircraft by an OUTSIDE independent organisation who are one of if not the best Warbird restoration and maintenance company around.
The whole thing is very sad and the question of what actually happened on touchdown (don't forget the aircraft actually got back to the airport) is still under investigation.