PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas stand down 20,000 employees till end of May
Old 28th Mar 2020, 12:12
Chronic Snoozer

Received 333 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by SecretAngel
Mate, I get that you're hurting and angry. But locking the country down will save thousands of lives. It's the right thing to do - even if it sucks for us.

We're in a pretty privileged position as pilots. We get paid a lot. Multiple times the average income (and more than most politicians). We earn enough to save for a rainy to day,getb unlike thousands of hospo workers, cleaners and the like. We get to sit this out at home (or stacking shelves) while the doctors and nurses and police put their lives on the line to save others. Bizarre though it is - I can actually feel for some of the politicians right now, who are under the pressure of making massive decisions that will affect millions of people in Australia, without any manual or checklist.

Now's the time to support and look out for each other, however we can.
And that may be by letting those who are impacted the hardest do shelf-stacking jobs as a means of getting by......

I agree with you though, this is a nightmare no politician would want or deserves. They need the chattering classes to stick together and follow the guidelines to get through this. Debrief usually happens after the stricken aircraft has safely landed not before.