PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tales from Kai Tak - 15 Years On
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2020, 20:34
Greenlitemaxthr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember base training when converting onto the -400 from the L-1011 - July 1990 with Adrian Bayley. It was a calm, clear day, with lots of blue sky and great visibility that you had in those days. I completed 7 landings in 1 hour 25 minutes. We took off on runway 13 just as the runway opened, went out to TH, and Adrian did a big, quite aggressive wingover, which surprised the hell out of me, and I made a visual approach to 31. After a touch and go we went out into the harbour straight towards Green Island, I did another big, pulling "g", wingover and made a visual approach to 13. I do remember Adrian pressing buttons quickly on the FMS to keep things going, which coming from the clocks, dials and elastic bands of the Tri-Star went by me in a blur. We kept going until final landing on 31, taxied up to the terminal, Bay 1 I think, parked and went straight to the Aero Club for a debrief - we drank champagne, which was customary in those days, got ****-faced, talked crap and enjoyed each others company. What I will always remember is how light and responsive the -400 was. Flying so low in the harbour, looking at mortals flats go by, reefing the aircraft about and both grinning at the whole lark of it all, as we played the sport of kings will always stay with me. Those were the days of fun flying, skill and no excuses.