PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safe seperation at Mach 2
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2003, 02:00
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
"I wouldn't worry about the shock waves, they end up behind you, you are on the point !!"

Thanks Ghost Flyer,
I was wondering about turbulence if we slowly manouvered into the other guys shock wave.
Since the camera wil be hand held could one expect severe turbulence that would turn the backseat into a blender? Camera weight would be in the range of 4 to 8 kilos.

"As to formation, a decent flight control system makes allowances for speed/mach and reduces sensitivity as required. Generally the snag is modulating power smoothly. 1% nozzle at 1300kts provides a lot more power differential than at 200kts."

So is it a fiddle to match speed of the aircraft we are shooting? Camera ship is different aircraft type to subject aircraft. Subject aircraft is mostly sticking to a flight plan.

"I have tried loose formation well supersonic and that isn't too much of a snag."

Good to hear. How loose? less than 2000 feet?

"the snag is that inertia rools when you start to break away and a flight path change takes a longer than normal. Most AD pilots have seen the bottom of another aircraft getting rapidly closer as the other guy begins his break away."

Ok. Dynamic breakaways will be at the bottom of the wish list.

"Hope that helps a bit"

Very constructive thank you.

Mickjoebill