PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2020, 12:16
sinbad73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.businesstravelnewseurope...-opening-timesSouthend airport is restricting its operating hours to three days a week as airlines continue to cut flights due to falling demand caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

Starting next week, the Essex airport will only be open from 1630-2130 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays due to a severely reduced service by its airline partners.

Easyjet and Ryanair have suspend all flights from Southend until at least mid-May due to border closures and travel restrictions across Europe, but some carrier have said they intend to continue a limited number of services.

Wizz Air will operate three flights a week to Bucharest from 30 March, while Loganair will continue its three weekly services to Aberdeen. However, the Scottish carrier has just announced it will cancel its Aberdeen route until further notice.

Southend will maintain logistical operations such as cargo flights, which it said will help it retain jobs at the airport.

CEO Glyn Jones commented: “I want to take this opportunity to express my immense gratitude for the incredible team here at London Southend airport who have responded fantastically to the unprecedented challenges faced by the aviation industry and by the world as a whole. I am pleased that the airport will contribute to the local community and its economy by securing jobs and contributing to the economy.”

The news comes after both Carlisle Lake District and London City airports announced they will cease passenger operations.