PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 - FMA Modes: THR vs SPD
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2020, 23:02
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since the stoning has ceased, perhaps it's good courtesy to return some pieces for another round of throws:

Airbus FBW has a reactive auto-trim, hence there always is displacement due to pitch/power couple. Can't be flown hands-off although the deviation is small. I'm also told that for landing at 100' RA that feature stops completely for the A330.

I think the passengers of AF447 wish they had a pilot who would pitch for speed first, instead of firewalling the thrustlevers. A330.

I think the owners of EK521 wish they trained the pilot to use thrust forward to climb and vice-versa. B777.

There are many non-jet A/C where there is no pitch-power couple, ATR to name one. Using power to manoeuvre in pitch is pointless, and insisting not only silly but just would not work. On those, yes.

On a machine with a decent power-pitch couple, using pitch (elevator) for V/S and only then thurst for speed is sloppy. But also very easy as the PFD tells you exactly that. Flight director command first, and later the speed trend arrow. CoM?

Last edited by FlightDetent; 26th Mar 2020 at 23:12.