PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2020, 18:11
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
I am not forgetting the families of the pax that died in that accident , but the difference is they they wanted and expecting a special experience when boarding that flight because it was out of the ordinary and flown by enthusiasts and volunteers. Sometimes **** happens in those conditions , No-risks heritage flying does not exists.
I have flown as pax in many heritage aircraft and am sufficiently heritage myself to have piloted some of them commercially, years before they became "heritage"!
I have flown in the B17 Fuddy Duddy several times and I have to say that not once on any of these occasions, regardless of a/c type, did it ever occur to me to consider anything as banal as insurance.

I agree with ATCW; people who subscribe to these flights generally regard them as an adventure which, by definition, involves the excitement of something daring or potentially risky. If they wish to remain totally safe (and "totally" is relative!), they should stay in the car park and give up their seat to someone prepared to accept and enjoy these flights for what they are.

Of course, I'm not condoning improper maintenance or operational procedures, but those are different subjects.