PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post-virus: Unsafe, rusty pilots?
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2020, 16:55
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are so many systems in place to check against 'rusty' pilots that I really don't see this as a problem. And it is not new, many individuals have already been through it (as has been made clear enough in several posts here) and continue to fly safely.

What worries me is the number of 'frazzled' pilots that there could be that could be very unsafe. Pilots who have been worrying about their domestic finances, pilots who have been worrying about health (family, friends or their own), pilots who are worried about their job security, pilots who have found the prolonged isolation at home (the exact opposite of their usual 'lifestyle' of going a long way from home!) to be 'upsetting', pilots who are having domestic difficulties due to being 'cooped up' with families in a way that they are not used to (especially with all the above problems on their minds all the time)... there are many, many other reasons why pilots could end up really 'frazzled' right now. Some managements are concerned about this (I know) which is a good start, while some appear (according to another Thread here) seem to be determined to make things worse.

Decades ago when I was out of work I had advice that "an unemployed pilot needs a mortgage for his phone bill" (in the old days before the relatively very cheap packages now available!). Right now the same probably applies to pilots stuck worrying at home. Get on the phone, talk to each other. Talking doesn't eliminate problems (although sometimes it might) but it can make a problem seem less extreme and finding that you are not the only one with a particular problem can reduce the 'sharpness' of that worry. It can also help to find ways that you hadn't thought of around worries. Go on, talk. We need pilots with clear minds as things get better.

Tell jokes! That helps to lighten things up. Don't worry about 'black' jokes, sometimes in situations that seem 'black' they are the most appropriate jokes (as anyone in certain jobs will be able to confirm!). I'll start here:

Look after each other. Fly safely.