PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK government says no industry-wide bailout for aviation
Old 26th Mar 2020, 16:40
Mr Mac

Received 152 Likes on 95 Posts
I came across two of my neighbours preparing to peddle off somewhere on their bikes when I drove past (going to top fields before you ask). I stopped to see how they were doing, as both retired (ex Headmaster and his Partner Retired Head of Legal for large council) both on Gold plated pensions, with houses in Spain and apartment in Paris. They made the comment was how "nice it was that there were no aircraft around as you could hear more bird song". I gently pointed out that we are not really that close to any airports, and planes tend to go over us in excess of ten thousand feet if heading for LBA or MAN (very few), with other,s up in the high 30,s, and that my pension was far more reliant on all those planes flying than was there,s is, and I would like them all back ASAP. This was met with "but can you not hear all the birds singing" to which I had to gently point out that it is spring, and they tend to sing more at this time of year for obvious reasons, and this a headmaster !
Anyway as far as Sallyanne comment on Zoom etc we use them a lot as a company, and personally have been using video conferencing since late 80,s when you needed video conferencing suites to do it, but I was still doing a minimum of 2 transatlantic s a month regardless, as people want to interact with you, and know you, and watching a monitor does not appear to work as well as the makers and suppliers would like because we are human. Therefore I do think Business travel will come back, but leisure maybe a little slower, and more so at the lower end of the market as that section of society will financially hurt the most as ever. Personally we have already got two LH holidays planned for later this year, and I have 6 LH Business trips assuming we get back into work in late May. All this assumes of course that we do not die in the Corona virus outbreak, but I work on controlling the controllable and not worry unduly about things I have little control off , and I went through SARS in Hong Kong, so this is my second time through this type of thing, and no it does not make it any easier. As an aside I would say the UK attempts at control are far worse than those in Hong Kong, not enough public sanitise-rs on public transport / stations etc probably get stolen in UK in current climate !.
Kind regards
Mr Mac

Last edited by Mr Mac; 28th Mar 2020 at 15:21.