PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus FPA cold Weather
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2020, 09:50
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Open Des.
I undestand your point but how much deviation could we see? I’m not familiar flying in extreme cold places. The few cold place we fly it’s around -25 degrees from ISA and we are doing ILS under radar vector so we only apply a correction on the DA.
Assuming it’s really cold like -40 degrees from ISA. We shoot a VOR selected approach with a standard descent angle of 3 degrees. We start the descent at the FAF at the corrected altitude but use a FPA of only 3 degrees. The table for table correction shows it should be 3.4 degrees. It’s only .4 degrees difference. Surely at the first DME check we will notice we are too high and correct it accordingly. Then when back on profile, we put it back to 3 degrees and yes we might get slightly above the profile again. Maybe I’m missing something. What’s the worst case than can happen? We might be slightly high when visual?
I think there is a good reason they removed that table: Better be slightly high than too low. Imagine the crew use that FPA. corrections but did not correct the FAF altitude. That could be a dangerous situation if no proper DME checks. Just speculating here. Don’t throw rocks at me. This is quite new to me and it’s interesting.