PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 26th Mar 2020, 07:03
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pittsextra

Still the AAIB are very confident in their report that significant evidence existed that the pilot was being renumerated and the CAA give a view that:-

CAA inspectors regularly visit airfields as well as public events where aviation operations involving aircraft or helicopters take place. During such visits or inspections, the CAA monitors for any possible illegal activity. The CAA also carries out regular spot checks of flight plans. Reports from the public, especially from those within the legitimate aviation community can also provide useful intelligence to the investigators.

Given all the checks and the significant evidence of payment it can’t have been going on all that long otherwise he’d have been caught beforehand?
Hiya Pitts, yes, sadly, even commercial crews get it wrong - we have probably all had those "oh sh1t!" moments at some time or other - or maybe just me??!!!!

Re the oversight of the CAA and them capturing the problem children so to speak, that assumes the CAA are doing their job in respect of policing this lot. Those more experienced in the area of Ops suggest not and my own dealings with such Governmental organisations over 40 years suggests that what someone says they do and what someone actually does are quite often two totally different things. Lets face it, the CAA got told off for not even maintaining a FCL database correctly!

So we either have poor oversight with missed problems or good oversight and no problems. Depends where you put your money and, whatever it is, it's difficult to work out where we are along the line between the two extremes. The bit that rings alarm bells for me is that that the CAA themselves promoted "flight sharing" as described by me a couple of Posts above along with it's "quasi-airline" ability to "book flights".

Anyway, see what Shy (and others?) say. Good we are debating it even if the answer is probably almost impossible to identify so your views are most useful!

Cheers, H 'n' H