PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC - Surely this must be the end
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2020, 21:41
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
KRaviator:
Random testing sadly is required, because some people just don't get the message.
.....And the answer to that is; “so what?”

This is not to downplay the seriousness of the offence but to ask the question whether the cost justifies the result - that’s a risk management calculation.

Considering that Mining and similar companies have the same programs, I can probably answer my own question, it is cost effective, but that doesn’t mean the calculations shouldn’t be done.

What some of the pilots here don’t understand is that “public opinion” of what is a serious risk and what is acceptable behaviour is constantly changing. Those same people get blindsided by change.

Examples:

- As a kid I rode home on the tram with a .303 SMLE on one arm and my school bag on the other.

- Ansett and TAA management ran the two airline policy each lunchtime from the bar at Mac’s.

- Dangerous driving - speeding had to be proved by police.

- Divorce and casual sex could get you fired.

- Homosexuality was a crime. Lesbians didn’t exist.

- illegal drug use was a serious crime.

- Certain books, plays and movies were officially banned. Sex, nudity and swearing were verboten.

Now look at what’s approved and what isn’t.......

Furthermore, Coronavirus is going to see all that change again! For example, we have just passed peak feminism, green BS and LBGTQwhatever. The coming recession will sweep that away, and with it probably the ASIC and much expensive government regulation.