PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure after V1
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2003, 16:57
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Most of the posts here are playing with the one idea .. risk assessment and mitigation.

Book figures are based on a range of assumptions which may vary somewhat from the real world situation on the day.

If the takeoff is not limiting or near limiting, then the crew have real world options, most of which are not documented for their assessment.

In general, history suggests that to continue offers a better chance of a successful outcome than does stopping... but there will be specific instances where a "non-standard" option will be deemed better by the Monday morning quarterbacks .. that's the nature of the real world.

The question which the captain always should reflect upon is "what option gives me the highest likelihood that I will have a satisfactory outcome ?" .. and, more often than not .. that is to follow generally accepted standardised and practised procedures.

As I have been guilty of claiming before .. there are NO guarantees .... only probabilities and risk mitigating approaches to the management of problems.