PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A DEBATE THAT MUST BE HAD
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2020, 09:59
gordonfvckingramsay

Received 729 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Colonel_Klink
So if the government did somehow financially support Virgin, would you people be happier if that then bought them an equity stake in the business?

Or is it that the government shouldn’t have its hand in any package at all? And I suppose the government shouldn’t be helping the farmers during a drought? And they shouldn’t be helping the communities of the bushfires either?

Some of you need to wake up - this is a once in a lifetime event. The damage that this will do to the entire economy is heading towards something very very significant. If you don’t think QF is going to need assistance in the future, you’re also kidding yourself.

There are articles suggesting only 20 main airlines around the world will survive this - does anyone think that this is a good thing?

I’m hoping this government is smart enough to realise that the airline industry in this country plays a significant part in the economy - although it’s unlikely considering how much they stuffed this whole thing up in the first place.

A monopoly in the airline industry is likely to slow any economic recovery. If prices suddenly jump to $400 a ticket to go ML SY because there isn’t any competition - people won’t travel!

The virus isn’t anyone’s fault - but the governments direct decisions have resulted in the closing down of the airline industry. The PM is out there saying that people should not travel domestically and has banned international travel. A DIRECT outcome is that both airlines essentially have no revenue. The PM announced funds for small and medium sized business, but has announced very little for the industry that has had the direct impact of the travel restriction (Of the $700m announced, some are fees to refunded, others are the waiving of taxes and levies that only apply when aircraft are flying - which they aren’t). I’m baffled by that - I truly am.

For what it’s worth - I doubt the government will offer any assistance (if they do - it should be to both major airlines and Rex as well as they all provide an essential service). And because the government won’t help - there is a significant chance Virgin Australia won’t survive. And it’s disgusting that seems to please some people here.
Farmers and individuals who are ACTUALLY struggling following a natural disaster should be helped, no strings attached.

Multi billion dollar companies with large boards of multi millionaires well known for their money first approach to corporate “ethics” shouldn’t get that benefit; their staff should. The company involved should lose some of their autonomy and the benefactors should become partners as it were. I am
more than happy for our nations airlines to be wholly or partially nationalised.

Granted this is a once in a generation event, but don’t think for a minute that our corporate “leaders” won’t milk it to their benefit.