PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus FPA cold Weather
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2020, 13:03
OPEN DES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. You set what you need, be it: a corrected FPA but not necessarily the exact one that you extracted from a chart.
What I am arguing is to use a corrected FPA from the FDP, directly proportionate to the altitude corrections applied, as an initial reference value. Subsequent (corr) alt vs distance checks will dictate how to adjust the FPA.
I think we’re clear on that.

Before, I was merely trying to explain the rationale of Airbus removing the FPA correction table from both A320 and A330 documentation:
-to avoid leading people into thinking that the single extracted ‘table FPA’ will 100% ensure correct vertical guidance without any further input and/or monitoring/crosscheck. (Subsequent litigation also)

It was decided that it is more important that pilots understand the temp effect on the FPA as a concept and apply corrections by anticipation without the use of a table (proportional to altitude corrections) and subsequent crosschecking.

Originally Posted by vilas
OPEN DESCENT
Using a cold temperature corrected FPA and not doing D/Ht check are two different things. Both are required. If you set ISA chart FPA and you find you are in error at the first check then after correcting when you go back to the same FPA you will again be in error because FPA is not appropriate. So you start the descent at corrected FPA but still check after I nm. If in error do the required correction and when correct reset the corrected FPA. This way you have better chance of tracking correct vertical path.