PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 - Great Idea of using A/T in ARM mode for approach/landing.
Old 5th May 2001, 20:24
BmPilot21

Post B737 - Great Idea of using A/T in ARM mode for approach/landing.

In our company I believe we're thinking of bringing in an option that you can keep the autothrottle engaged right down to after landing on a Cat I approach.

What you do, is disconnect the autopilot as usual, but keep the A/T engaged. You then press SPEED on the MCP. This disengages speed mode and puts it into ARM mode. This is the same mode that it goes to on a LVL CHG descent after RETARD. The A/T is passive - eg it does nothing and the thrust levers are yours. It is a manual thrust landing (the thrust levers can be manually positioned with no inteference from the A/T), and you can not tell that the A/T is engaged.

HOWEVER, it is there in the event of a GA, so you can press TOGA and the thrust levers will advance to the GA setting.

It sounds a VERY good idea, and I can not see any disadvantages. What I'm unclear about is whether you still get Windshear and low speed reversion protection. this would be an added benefit, but the tech. manual doesn't go deep enough to cover this.