PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AKL CC Glassing Incident
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 12:06
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SOPS
And this person is allowed to fly large jet aircraft?
Not the first time a pilot on a layover has exchanged words with a pub owner.

In Sandy's defense, the accuser has a colorful past filled with public conflict and controversy. He seems to enjoy the publicity of a confrontation at the entrance of his restaurant in this June 2019 profile by Grace Millane linked below.

At Headquarters, the queue is out the door. I lined up behind Devin Patuawa, a young, sharply dressed visual merchandiser, and told him I was writing a story about [Leo] Molloy.

"I hear he's a real c**t," he said, his eyes shining. This word hangs around Molloy. "I'm an absolute c**t with a capital C," he said on a call with The Project's producer Jon Bridges. Kirsty Kilgour has worked for Molloy for over a decade, describes him as a "mad genius" and seems to genuinely love his rough edges. "I wanted to get staff t-shirts for winter that read 'my boss is a c**t'," she says. He regularly refers to himself that way, and more regularly to others perceiving him as one.

The reputation has been hard-earned over decades. In 2002 he was fined $7000 by the employment tribunal for unjustified dismissal after physically restraining waitress Melanie Cheung from transcribing what he was saying to her. There was an incident involving astrologist Don Murray, who has published bizarre insinuations about Molloy over a period of years, and pro boxer Sean Sullivan, which made Rachel Glucina's 'best tiffs and tantrums of 2009'. And in 2014 a long-running defamation proceeding against Molloy, brought by racing executive Greg Purcell, was settled for a six-figure sum and an apology from Molloy. "My claims were baseless," his statement read.

Throughout all this, his businesses careened onwards. As Euro [one of Molloy's many earlier restaurant ventures] swelled, so did Molloy's myth. "It was so intoxicating. Suddenly going from being nothing, a nobody who never got invited to a party, to being on everybody's dance card. Everybody's. I mean everybody's. Even [billionaire Oracle CEO] Larry Ellison had me out on his boat."

When I first meet him he's at the next setting over, running a tasting with his GM Kimmi Curtane and two friends he jokingly describes as "hired muscle". After raging against Monk, he's interrupted by yelling from the pavement outside. A man with long hair and an e-bike is remonstrating with him. "They're throwing me out, mate," he says. Molloy heads around to the entrance, where the man attempts to gain re-entry. "You don't know who you're dealing with," the man tells Headquarters staff. "I don't want to stuff up your business." The scene is half menace, half farce, with tension in the air as the man refuses to leave the entrance. "I couldn't care less," Molloy tells the customer. "Now get on your bike and f**k off."
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/lifes...e-viaduct.html