PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 18:21
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
So we may all just as well not bother with a commercial licence, Class 1 medicals or valid insurance and just get on with the more serious business of earning a living flying passengers wherever they wish to go.
Sadly, Shy, that seems the "buried suggestion" from the CAA from where I sit, especially when you factor in a bit of "creative costing" to generate the resultant benefit in kind from Wingly-type flights (and Wingly et al are only doing what they are allowed to do so absolutely no dig at them or other such platforms) thereby releasing funds in the bank account from the "day job" to be spent on other things rather than flying - while still flying. Bit like getting a pay rise really!

And it's not that much of a leap for people to start to "chuck something in for the pilot" as they wanted to stay overnight, etc, etc.... As the Sala AAIB report states "As a PPL holder, the pilot was not permitted to be remunerated for the flight, yet there was significant evidence to show that he was expecting to be paid." (AAIB report, Page 66). Bet there was no PAYE Pay Slip expected along with any such payment!

But all that discussion has been done to death here on PPRuNe with no real response from the CAA apart from additional so-called "passenger education"! I wonder how many of those pax would even bother glancing at such advice - after all, how much "small print" do most of us actually read, let alone actually understand if we do bother to read it?

I'm sadly out of all that now but I've met a few real nice people in the Charter world over the years and talk about fighting a battle with your arms tied behind your backs!

Sorry for the doom and gloom but I do despair at times! Just call me "Victor" if you want - many have noticed the similarity!!! H 'n' H