PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hanging one side low
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 16:54
HissingSyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
and your experience of testing and designing helicopters is????
Nil, of course, but I did once read a lot of information from Westland, Boscombe Down and what I think is now the US DCIT. I also had some access to the Sikorsky manual mentioned in the parallel thread.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not equipped for an academic argument with you on physics but I have flown helicopters for 38 years and the height of the TR from the MR really makes no difference to the hover attitude.
Just to clarify that you are thinking of the design position of the tail rotor relative to the main rotor? NL himself says this about that:
A high tail rotor cancels some of the needed left roll, a low tail rotor, on the centreline, needs more left roll.
The attitude of a helicopter in the hover is tail low. In level forward flight it is more or less horizontal. The vertical distance from the line of the tail rotor thrust to the rotor head changes. It is that separation that is most relevant to tail rotor roll, although it is not the sole contribution, as a rehearsal of this thread will point out.

Last edited by HissingSyd; 22nd Mar 2020 at 19:31.