PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 21st Mar 2020, 09:30
glenb

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
CASAS direction that my continuing employment was "untenable"

For those of you that have been following this rather complicated story, you will be aware that after CASA placed restrictions on my businesses ability to trade, that were not based on any safety concerns, or on any regulatory breaches but for "other" reasons. Most likely in my opinion they allowed their prejudices to interfere with sound and professional decision making, but that is not the point of this particular post.

After selling the business at a fraction of its value to ensure i could meet the staff salaries, i also secured employment with the new owners of the business. That lasted until the CASA Region Manger directed my employer that my position was untenable based on comments that i was making publicly. In my opinion the Region manager way overstepped his authority, and that will be "tested".

Unfortunately when CASA choose to take such action it has significant damage on ones reputation and potentially makes it difficult to secure employment in the industry. I was talking to a "friend" about this, and i thought i might be interested in seeing if my situation is unique.

From my own experience i know of people who have had their reputation tarnished by CASA actions. I would be very "interested" to hear on here,
or by Private Message if this is widespread. I know when i have put names forward to CASA, i get a roll of the eyes or feedback that person isn't a CASA favorite. In fact on one occasion CASA made it quite obvious that someone i had selected shouldn't be considered. One of my senior personnel intervened and advised me that i should give that person a chance despite CASA reservations. I took his wise and well intentioned advice, because as he pointed out. If i didn't give him the opportunity he would never get the opportunity. Im pleased to say it was a good decision, and that person remains someone i trust and respect many years later.

So if you have had your career or reputation impacted by personnel making inappropriate comments to a third party that have damaged your reputation or employability i would very much value your input. I am exposing CASA here on this rumor network, but appreciate this may be best dealt with via a PM and will leave that to your discretion. Thankyou.

I would like to demonstrate to my friend that this is in fact very much part of the way CASA operate. Cheers. Glen