PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas stand down 20,000 employees till end of May
Old 20th Mar 2020, 22:35
dr dre

Received 381 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Australopithecus
I think that draconian measures could be put in place and isolation could still overcome it, but only country by country for now. Recovering our domestic economy should be the result of controlling the virus, and that’s going to take strong man measures in controlling US for five or six weeks. If we could do that, then we could gradually reconnect with the wider world.
Thats if we had a government that was competent and knew what it was doing and put measures in place immediately ala South Korea or Singapore where the virus being put under control. Heck you could even say China eventually instituted better control measures, and is getting their economy back in business, I guess being an authoritarian dictatorship comes in handy at times. It also helps when you have an educated population that listens to directions. The government is just a reflection of the people and I think we’re seeing that here in great effect.

I’m reminded of the phrase “the Lucky Country”, and it’s creator’s original meaning. Not that Australia is genuinely great, it’s just that we are lucky to have such a high living standard when we are comprised of second rate people with leaders drawn from that population. I fear the response to this crisis will expose that.