PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it a good time ? Corona virus
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2020, 16:13
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harveyst
I started an integrated course on 2nd March in Spain. Tomorrow (if I’m lucky) I’ll be heading back to U.K. - gutted isn’t the word.
I’m the wrong side of 35 as it is, so starting the course was a risky move to start with but this situation has basically ended the dream. I’ve put the course on ice to see how the next few months pan out but realistically it’s bad times.
I’m not trying to get any sympathy, but in answer to the OP - I’d think very long and hard about what’s going to happen when you’ve finished your course. From what I have read and heard this is pretty catastrophic for the industry.
BUT - best of luck whatever you choose, and I hope it works out for you.
Not much consolation to you, but..
I passed my CPL/IR the same month as Air Europe went bust. Shot a few hundred well qualified pilots onto a job market which was 1/10th the size it is today, so it had a catastrophic effect on my chances of finding a pilot job. I was 35 that year. Head down, kept current on something with propellers at my expense. 2 years later the market recovered and rapidly expanded with the growth of the LoCo airlines to the point of a pilot shortage in year 4. 25 years later, I am done with aviation and have had a fine and lucrative career from it.
I would expect the turn around to be 2 years, if you can bear to wait. Best of luck.