PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worldwide air bridge COVID19 supply lines
Old 20th Mar 2020, 14:46
foxcharliep2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by golfyankeesierra
Ridiculous to compare this to the Berlin Airlift. At the time all road, rail and water connections were blocked into a war torn city.
Air was the only possibility to supply such things as even a cabbage. Lufthansa is not going to fly in cabbages to Germany now.

Also I do not believe for a second that Lufthansa is doing this dor the greater good of mankind. They are in this for the money. And understandably, it is the one and only thing that an airline can make a little bit money on.

And regarding the possibility of passengercabin cargo, I believe that will turn out to be one of the WhatsApp group hoaxes running around.
I am told that expected cargo is high priority but low volume. Like medical supplies.
Will fit perfectly into belly’s of their most efficient aircraft the A350.

Any LH pilot to comment?
Retired from LH 10 years ago.

I will not comment on the technical details, we have no longer 747's with side cargo door.
But I will beliive it will be feasible if necessary.
Vorsprung durch Technik comes to my mind ... :-)

As for your comment re. you believe LH is in it for the money : Having done evac flights like THR after the Shah's fall and JKT after riots myself as crew, LH will do it to serve the German gvt and its citizens as well and as much as possible in a crisis.

LH and the German gvt have good relations and depend on each other. Today more than ever.