PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B 737 Autothrottle
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2000, 21:55
Portly

Talking

ManaAdaSystem,

Sorry about the '-something' in my earlier posting - but having got to the point of writing my posting, I couldn't go back and check your username, which you have to admit is perhaps not the most instantly memorable! My best regards to you, anyhow.

I'm not certain whether the question from Pprune Towers was directed at me, but the aircraft with the better design are basically Airbus, though the very best flight deck I have ever used was on the Fokker 70/100, which had a design and operating philosophy which leaves everything I've seen before and since standing. Moreover, the flying controls were still mechanical with hydraulic power.

Incidentally, it was in a F100 that my friends lived thanks to the Alpha-floor. Scenario was a fast, high, approach with the FO flying. Configuration was Flap 42, Gear down, Speedbrake fully out, Approach Idle thrust.

Feeling uncomfortable, the Captain instructed the FO to go-around, but the FO reverted to previous type and de-selected autothrottle (switch on end of thrust lever grip) instead of TOGA (trigger under thrust lever grip). He then wondered why the FD hadn't commanded a pitch up, so pitched up to approximately 20 degrees. Fortunately, the Alpha floor activated immediately and the Speedbrake re-stowed automatically, meaning that they recovered by about 200'AGL about a mile out from the runway. I am aware that this scenario has occurred more than once. In a 737 they might not have been so lucky.