PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recreational pilots - why did you choose helicopter
Old 19th Mar 2020, 12:21
Kicking Horse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working in the US. I was lucky enough to have a day out and took a Grand-Canyon flight in a Jet-Ranger. I was hooked from that moment, and told my colleagues at the time that I was going to do 'that' sometime, of course they just smiled with those 'yeah-whatever' looks.
Saved hard and got a PPL in the UK, saved even harder and got my B206 rating, then spent way too much money flying to sites and airfields for bacon sandwiches and coffee.
Mid-life crisis hit hard, so I sold almost everything I owned (the wife's car took a bit of negotiating...), ignored advice from friends, and completed my CPL training, and advanced onto an FI too. I even managed to find work, not easy, but got remunerated for my efforts.
Apart from the well-documented pressure from clients, and some horrible weather at times, I enjoyed almost every moment, flew amazing places, Ireland, Kenya, all UK, even delivered a machine to Greece.
Got struck down by the 2008 recession, ended up working for friends and even driving HGV's, and despite a lot of effort, never managed to fly commercially again.
I now work as an AFISO in Scotland, and love it when a PDG machine, or even better, the Coastguard turn up. Basically, I just love helicopters!
(Oh yes, I did get a FW licence somewhere, but got bored and hardly ever mention it as the rotary world is just more interesting )