PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing NORDO at KDCA
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2020, 01:40
Occy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to be a lot of mountains being made out of mole hills here...

A similar situation cropped up in Sydney about a year ago. We were on descent going south when centre abruptly tells us to do a 180 and climb back up a few thousand feet. I'm doing the radios and am like, "Dude, WTF?" (ok maybe not quite those words!), centre something to the effect of, "just shut up and do it!". Turned out they had a fire alarm go off in the tower and evacuated. Luckily it was late morning after the international arrival peak hours, otherwise I can just imagine the clusterf with internationals. Other aircraft diverted to canberra, but I always take a boat load of extra fuel so we decided to stick it out in a holding pattern for a while.

After a few laps we were advised we could get vectored by approach onto final (it was VMC) but there was no tower, ground etc. and "advise intentions". I was a new captain at the time, so a little nervous about what to do. My learned colleague and I discussed what was safe and what was not and decided with a few mitigating factors e.g. talking a lot on the radio, we could proceed and land. At no time did we consider the "excruciating minutiae" of the CARs, intent of certain phrases, whether the approach controller is "allowed" to make an normally towered airport uncontrolled etc.

We got vectored for a visual (got direct everywhere, makes a nice change from "cross blabla in 7 hours at 3 knots!), thanked the approach controller for their help, made a million broadcasts on tower frequency, landed, taxied off and stopped, called the company to see if the access to the bay was free (you can't see the gates are hidden behind the terminal), taxied to the bay, filled out some paperwork (about which I received not even a phone call) and went to the hotel for an overnight.