PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?
Old 18th Mar 2020, 22:37
the_stranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wigbam
Too often nowadays I hear is "government should do this" and "government should do that". And what happened to individual responsibility and critical thinking? If you were not able to see where this whole thing was going and making necessary preparations for you and your family in advance (even as late as two/three weeks ago) then you haven't been paying attention. A few extra loo rolls would have been a good start.

Population lockdown in hope of getting rid of the CV-19 would not work. It will re-appear as soon as the lockdown is lifted. Unless, of course, you totally northkoreanise yourself and shutdown all borders for years. Hence whatever Europe is doing now is akin to hanging oneself in order to prevent catching a cold (pun intended). These measures will no doubt be successful in killing the economy while perhaps slow down the spread of the virus at best. The economic ramifications (i.e. people suffering and dying) from the shutdown will be far worse than from the virus itself. And we are already beginning to see that with all those bankruptcies, redundancies, pensions disappearing etc.

The only sensible approach is to accept CV-19 as a new reality and attempt to mitigate its spread which is what UK and US so far is trying to do - encourage(enforce?) groups at risk (seniors, people with pre-conditions etc.) to self-isolate perhaps with some help from the government but let the healthy majority continue spinning the economic wheel while taking certain pre-cautions.
But what are you trying to say exactly?

Government is still in charge and if they command a lock down, no thing I can do.
My government is going for letting the virus do it's thing, but they try to slow of down/protect the weak by social distancing. Again, what can I do?

How would critical thinking and personal responsibility play into this?