PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAE Oxford AP 445
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2020, 18:13
VariablePitchP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TryingToAvoidCBs
I appreciate your honesty, but WOW. You handed over all that money to CTC without ever hearing of a modular scheme? Shows how much research you did into the industry before you handed over (I'm guessing a six figure amount) to one of the largest glossy magazing factories around. This is why CTC/L3 continue to screw people dry 7 days a week.
Very valid point. However, to add more context, I left uni without enough money to run a car let alone get a PPL. Therefore modular was just as affordable to me as going integrated, which was just as affordable to me as starting my own space programme... Utterly impossible. I had never paid for a flying hour in my life when I started the course... £150-£200 an hour, just for fun, you’ve got be clinically insane to do that! I was literally working as a delivery driver at uni in the evenings to save enough to be able pay for the assessment fee in order to even be allowed to pay to do the course 😂

To me the idea of paying £8k for a PPL would have been an obscene use of money, so 60k modular vs 100k integrated was just irrelevant at that point.

I was quite lucky in that an airline gave me the money to do the training. The reason I went to CTC is because I had to. The fact a modular course would be 40k less was just totally irrelevant, that’s not who they would pay for. FTE and Oxford were also options but they’re essentially the same. Had it not been for the help from the airline I would never have pursued aviation as a career as there’s just no way on earth I could have even attempted to pay for it. Plenty of other fulfilling careers to do that don’t require any upfront cost. Long story short, I’d never heard of modular because why would I have done? Looking up modular schools would have been as much use as looking at scuba diving courses, the latter probably being more fun!