PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - History Hunters on Yesterday Grp Capt Peter Casement
Old 18th Mar 2020, 17:05
WB627

Received 47 Likes on 15 Posts
pr00ne

I know we were not getting close to the targets which is why we changed tactics, because that was our only option. What I was not happy about, was the way in which it was said in the programme, which to me at least, implied yet again, criticism of the RAF and the crews that were involved.

Whilst Dresden was a strategic target, it was a major rail transport and communication centre, there were over 100 factories and 50,000 workers supporting the German war effort, it had however, not been significantly bombed up to that point in the war. A Soviet intelligence report which was later proven erroneous, indicated that one or two German armored divisions were in Dresden, on their way to reinforce the Eastern Front. Consequently, the Russians, who would later denounce the attack as an Anglo-American war crime, made the request that led to Dresden’s destruction.

Bomber Command crews have taken the flack for the change in strategy after Butt, since the end of the war, probably for doing their job too well and it is time it stopped.

Last edited by WB627; 18th Mar 2020 at 17:13. Reason: Marshalling yards bombed twice before the final attack