PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recreational pilots - why did you choose helicopter
Old 18th Mar 2020, 13:35
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birthday gift of a fixed-wing lesson. Fun, but not engaging enough. 2 years later, birthday gift of a helicopter lesson (R44, wife came along too). Upper air work more interesting than FW, but when the FI gave me a go at hovering…….. I got out of the machine and told my (very green-looking) wife "I have got to do this. It's the hardest thing I ever tried!".

More than 10 years later, owned 2x120's and a 44, also flown G2 and 206 L4. Absolutely love it!

Take 3 or 4 "training" flights each year to stay fresh with emergency drills (last one was 30 min instrument turns & nav) in addition to the annual LPC. The technical flying of emergency drills is still what I enjoy most.

UK-based, so hotel and lunch trips are common. why do this when I could drive - why would I sit in a car for 2 hrs when I can be there in 30min in a helicopter? In the highlands, even more advantage. Cumbernauld to my place by road - 3:15. By helicopeter - 60% start to 40% on stop is 53 min. And with the greatest scenery imaginable.

John