PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus FPA cold Weather
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2020, 03:29
tcasblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus FPA cold Weather

I know it has been discussed before.

I was just reading an article about cold weather corrections in general and this statement was made...

"In 2015 there was a crash of an Airbus where the crew employed a company sanctioned procedure to increase their Flight Path Angle (FPA) to compensate for their increased Final Approach Fix altitude, which was temperature compensated. Flying the charted FPA from the higher indicated altitude at the FAF would result in arriving over the runway at too high an altitude. In theory, computing a higher FPA based on the expected indicated altitudes would get them over the threshold at the correct height. The problem with this theory is that the corrected FPA needs to be constantly updated. Airbus has since abandoned this procedure. If you've picked it up somewhere, you also need to abandon the procedure. Fly the charted FPA, even when using temperature compensated altitudes."

https://code7700.com/altimetry_tempe...ection.htm#fpa

I don't believe the writer is an Airbus pilot. Is this paragraph accurate, especially about the change of procedure and that no flight path angle change is made anymore?