PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar flight making an emergency landing at Mildura
Old 18th Mar 2020, 00:30
machtuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by George Glass
Machtuk , let me know which operator you fly for ( if you fly at all ) so that I can avoid it. An aircraft on fire or with persistent smoke in the cabin MUST land at the nearest available airport. That airport may be an emergency airport that has been assessed as meeting the minimum operational standards for landing. Other “nice to have” facilities are completely irrelevant. An out of control fire may even require a ditching or out-landing. Its worst case but you’re gunna die otherwise.

Extract from a major manufacturers checklist;

“It must be stressed that for smoke that continues or a fire that cannot be positively confirmed to be completely extinguished, the earliest possible descent, landing, and evacuation must be done.
If a smoke, fire or fumes situation becomes uncontrollable, the Flight Crew should consider an immediate landing. Immediate landing implies immediate diversion to a runway. However, in a severe situation, the Flight Crew should consider an overweight landing, a tailwind landing, an off-airport landing, or a ditching.”
ha ha, I'll let you sweat on that one seeing as it bothers you a lot -)
you'll never whether I fly or not, now that's gotta hurt! -

Last edited by machtuk; 18th Mar 2020 at 07:13.