PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia Border enforced isolation 12am Monday
Old 17th Mar 2020, 21:29
Berealgetreal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr dre
I’ve never had someone sneeze into my face in public so close that they will pass on a virus that will cause me significant health problems. That is a one in a billion chance that is so small it isn’t worth worrying about.

You know who is at risk from that? Healthcare workers, who are around sick and vulnerable people 24/7. They are the ones who need a well stocked supply of masks. So situations like these are avoided which are perpetuated by BS conspiracy theorist fearmongering hoarders like yourself who are putting our frontline healthcare heroes at risk:

Coronavirus COVID-19 mask shortages mean GPs are shopping at hardware stores for supplies
You’re getting a bit carried away now. You’re now calling me a fearmogerer and horder with no evidence.

I’ve got some masks in my shed for working around the house. Have I used them to protect myself from Covid-19? No not yet. Will I use them? Don’t know, I’ll judge it on the day.

My issue is with Governments, the WHO and business telling lies about about the effectiveness of protective masks. It’s patently clear that if someone sneezes and you have a mask on you have reduced (probably not eliminated) the number of particles entering your body via nose and mouth thus giving the body a greater chance of mounting some defence. As far as I’m concerned the spread of this misinformation is negligent at best.

I’ve told my elderly parents (lung issues) to buy a couple of masks to use if they venture out along with the other precautions. They initially said it won’t help as that’s what they’ve been told. Not ideal as that puts them at risk when they don’t need to be. In my case mine are in the shed, hardly hoarding.

It’s pretty simple to ask outlets to restrict sale or not put them on the shelf rather than confuse and mislead people that might have them in a cupboard or could make something at home.

The evidence indicates the larger the number of particles inhaled the more aggressive the symptoms and outcome. Possibly why the youngsters in Italy (too much romance) are coming down with terrible pneumonia.

Last edited by Berealgetreal; 18th Mar 2020 at 00:48.