PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ten most overpaid jobs in the US, No. 9 Pilots!?!?!
Old 18th Nov 2003, 23:57
None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with most (but not all) of what this guy says in reply to the article:

"I was a little more than miffed to read Chris Pummer's '10 most overpaid jobs' column on CBSMarketWatch last Friday - - especially since one of them - major airline pilot - is what I do. Not only was his description of my profession grossly distorted in terms of both compensation and job description; it was downright insulting.

You can imagine my further chagrin when you chose to feature this sloppy "journalist" on your show Monday morning! I can't speak for the other nine jobs he maligned, but his complete ignorance of the nature of my profession leads me to question the accuracy of the others he described.

A few points:

1) The median pilot salary at Delta is nowhere near the 250,000 Mr. Pummer described. Try about half that! Quoting the top end pay one can earn during the last 2-3 years of a 30 year career is hardly indicative of the compensation afforded major airline pilots.

2) It takes an average of 10-12 years of college, postgraduate flight schools (2-4 years' worth), internship, and 3 to 4 thousand hours of jet experience just to qualify for an INTERVIEW at a major airline. The cost of such preparation EXCEEDS that of medical or law school and the overall preparation is easily comparable to what an attorney, dentist or even general medical practitioner goes through.

3) Mr. Pummer incorrectly described the job as being "almost fully
automated." Wrong. The automation that exists in the current
generation of passenger jets allowed operators to eliminate the 3rd pilot/flight engineer. The workload remaining for the 2 pilot crew is equal or higher, especially in abnormal situations, than it was previously.

4) Comparing major airline pilot pay to regionals is not very
meaningful. Pilot cost per seat mile is a more accurate cost comparison - - and in this, major airline pilots are on par with their regional counterparts! From the dawn of sailing vessels, a ship's Captain has been paid in part relative to the size/weight of his/her craft. I operate a 250 passenger, 400,000 pound Boeing 767. The biggest aircraft Southwest operates is a 125,000 pound, 125-130 passenger 737. Most regional airlines operate 50-70 passenger 50,000 pound regional jets.
Apples to oranges.

5) Pilots are paid by the FLIGHT hour. For each flight hour paid, we are required to be on duty 1 1/2 to 2 hours. My monthly schedule works out to approximately a 40-45 hour work week, PLUS 12-13 nights per month away from home. It's a FULL-TIME job!

6) Like other professionals, pilots go through demanding continuing education and evaluation. The qualification standard is 100% on every maneuver and on every normal and emergency procedure. Fall short and find another job. Pilots have to maintain and recertify medical fitness every 6 months. The FAA doesn't like your EKG? Kiss your career goodbye. Develop diabetes or high blood pressure? Kiss your career goodbye. Go see a Psychiatrist for depression and get on medication? Kiss your career goodbye. Pilots are scrutinized by the federal
government during all phases of aircraft operation. Perform a task
incorrectly or violate an approach altitude by 1 foot? Have nice long unpaid leave or find another job.

7) Speaking of pilots, Mr Pummer stated, "Because we entrust our lives to them, consumers accept the excessive sums paid them, when it's airplane mechanics who really hold our fate in their hands." Tell that to the passengers who had to make an emergency return to Salt Lake not too long ago, when a mechanic failed to properly reconnect an engine generator drive, resulting in an inextinguishable magnesium fire in the engine. Only quick, professional action on the part of the pilots and
cabin crew resulted in the safe landing and prompt evacuation of all on board. Tell that to the United DC-10 crash survivors in Sioux City, Iowa, who are alive thanks to the outstanding airmanship of Capt Al Haines who drew on years and tens of thousands of hours of experience in crafting an aerodynamic solution to a severe hydraulic failure that rendered his ship virtually uncontrollable! The pilots union that Mr. Pummer derides has for over 70 years fought for and won improvements in
aircraft and airport safety too numerous to mention. You and I should shudder in fear at the prospect of an aviation system without the Air Line Pilots Association's involvement!

As a major airline pilot, I am responsible for the safety of hundreds of people and the operation of a hundred-million dollar jet in any weather, visibility, airport/runway condition, and airspace congestion level. The consequences of even a minor failing on my part can be catastrophic, creating liability in the billions of dollars, not to mention tremendous injury and loss of life.

I accept that the post 9/11 fallout created huge downward pressures on every aspect of the airline industry. My own paycheck and career prospects have and will continue to diminish. I accept this as a reality of the market place. I just wish that Chris Pummer and others who report on my industry and the profession I dearly love and have labored long years to qualify for would JUST ONCE get it right."