PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF LCC, Erosion of condition, and the FAAA
Old 18th Nov 2003, 23:43
UpperDeckRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditzyboy

How senior was a Japan trip before the flying went to AO? 20 years? It's now 30! I have heard most cabin crew at LH with two year's seniority don't even have a flying line. That's not good for the bank balance.
You are actually wrong on both accounts.... the famed 20 years to get to Japan is a complete urban myth ( it is true for the HNL trips ). Crew within QF are currently regularly getting 6 day tokyo (narita) trips .... with less than two years seniority ( Perth base, just look at the crew lists).

Two years or less no flying line? You must be thinking of shorthaul - at longahul we have rotational reserve.... you get it every 14 months or so, the rest of the time you are on a flying line, you may get a low-line, but it is always a flying line unless your turn for reserve is up (regardless of seniority).

As for AO's wages, no offence to those doing it, but I wouldnt consider that to be decent money...... but it's all relative your individual circumstances. I doubt most long haul crew would consider it to be decent money though.

As for the Regional Flying in the new short haul EBA, as far as I am concerned ahort haul are welcome to the short international sectors, although whether they would want them is another factor...... they forgot to write things such as allowances, hotel accommodation standards overseas etc into the EBA..... if shorthaul are happy to float around Asia for six days, doing 14 hour sectors, without allowances and only earning DTA, well good luck to em

I agree, all divisions of the union should stick together, but alas I feel it is far too late for that.

Most long haul crew feel that the short haul union shafted us in their last EBA ..... if we transfer to short haul, we are now on a 'b scale' with no band payments. And the minimal support from the short haul FAAA during our 'stop work party' was noticed. Yes I agree with other posts on the lagalities of secondary boycotts, ......................but there are ways around that , if they really wanted to, the shorthaul union could have come up with some 'non-related help'

I have heard whispers that the long haul union is planning on distancing us from short haul even further, by cancelling the divisional transfer agreement.

The belief is that there will shortly be nowhere to transfer to (becasue of the LCC eventually taking most current shorthaul routes), and even if you can get a transfer to short haul, you are now on less pay to those crew in short haul junior to you, why bother?

Plus there is the 'payback factor' , the shorthaul union agreed to let the long haul crew be forced onto a no-bands 'b' scale if they transferred to shorthaul, so why let shorthaul transfer into our division, and get the same conditions as us?

If the cancellation of the divisional transfer agreement happens, it would be sad ..... but unfortunatlely the short haul union fired the first shot by allowing long haul to get shafted in the last EBA. They have to expect the long haul union to adopt a less than 'helpful' approach to the short haul people, when they are facing the certain problems the new LCC will bring.

Having said that, I have flown in both divisions, and hope it all works out for the short haul guys.