PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lockhart Crash
Thread: Lockhart Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2020, 11:27
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Bend alot;10713405]
Originally Posted by ncthomas
Not much data is recorded if any on these aircraft, there may be some limited data on some avionics upgrade such as the GPS. I expect that there could be some cell phone data that could shed some light on the final moments.

I do not know that area, but getting visual over the ocean pretty low, I can see happening. It would not take much of an event/distraction to lose a few precious feet in the tropical weather of the day.
Interesting the WX recorded is not matching with witness reports or a reported text image of the second attempt to land.

I have seen a few "local procedures" for use in adverse weather that involve personal units - not suggesting that is the case here.

RIP & condolences to all involved.
Actually there is quite a lot of information available from the GPS chip so long as it wasn't damaged in the crash. If the G forces are high enough the chip will crack and that makes it impossible to read. Getting visual over the sea on a rainy/misty day can be a real b*****d as the horizon disappears into the murk and one has to be very careful that you are not losing altitude. This is especially so if you are beyond visual range of the land.