PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold War Cat growling again
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2020, 09:03
Cat Techie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NutLoose
NO,
The GR1a used the weighted noddy cap that was attached to the chute to help it deploy if memory serves me correctly, but they have a later chute I believe but an early noddy cap, so its probably a work around. On the GR1a when the pilot pulled the chute handle, two jaws opened at 3 and 9 oclock and the cap fell off pulling out the chute.
The noddy caps used to get the proverbial beaten out of them bouncing along the runway when the chute was jettisoned and sometimes could be a pig to refit..

You can see how it should be in this image,

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...98?s=2048x2048

Yes Nutty, it is a work around. The RAF modified the aircraft to have a sprung loaded fairing that was hinged on the bottom of frame 43 and would spring open when the handle was pulled. Chute had a sprung loaded drogue chute to pull the main out of the canister. The drogue pack had a wire lock that had to be removed once the door was shut. Reason for the mod? The cost of repairing and replacing all the noddy caps that were damaged everytime that they were used. XX741 was retired before having the brake parachute mod carried out (MOD 1148), but as said, we have a post mod chute. Indian aircraft all are pre mod so the pre mod parachutes that have life have value.Having our noddy cap (our only one) bouncing about on the floor is not a wise idea. The para cord mod worked as I expected it.