PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Henlow
Thread: RAF Henlow
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2020, 17:26
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 425 Likes on 224 Posts
I underwent my RAF IOT training there, over winter of 1976-77. I didn't enjoy it much. On arrival I was one of the fastest runners on the station but I was later criticised due to my not matching their expectations of physical improvement (which in fairness, in my case was due to the RAF physical training being less regular and less strenuous than my previous job)!

Our course project was to polish (with Duraglit!) one of the Lightning prototypes (P1A and P1B) parked adjacent to the parade square, prior to the graduation of a senior course. The night before the grad parade, it was somehow decided the Lightnings needed some company. The old Vampire from the other side of the camp by the hangars was "borrowed" for the occasion. I was one of the more sober ones there and remember having to hold up the traffic around midnight while it was manhandled across the main road. Obviously, the next morning, before breakfast, the SWO, having inspected his parade square decided he might just like it moved back again - ASAP! It seemed to take a lot more pushing, by a lot more people, to get it back to its previous resting place, even though the return trip was downhill. Only then did we notice all the tyres were totally flat (and probably had been for years).