PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recreational pilots - why did you choose helicopter
Old 16th Mar 2020, 17:09
miller745

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was gifted a trial lesson voucher. Knew of my colour blindness and was told years ago that would never allow me to fly an aircraft along with other things.
Really enjoyed the trial flight, thought I would go for a medical assessment to rule out the "what if" which was going around my head.
I failed the basic colour blindness test (no surprise) but passed the CAD. I've always had an interest in aviation (dad was RAF but I couldn't join due to peanut allergy) and now I had the chance to get a PPL I was going to take it.
Really enjoyed the training, did find it difficult. All the theory to learn and doing lessons before/after work shifts, but it was surprising how quickly all the skills I learnt came together.
Ideally the PPL would lead to going commercial, but I'm no rich boy. Paid for the PPL with all the overtime I had been saving up over the years to spend on "something" and I'm simply delighted to have got this far with it..
Chose helicopters as I love the freedom you have, want to stop and look at something, no problem. Want to land at a restaurant for bacon sandwich and tea, no problem!