PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta to Cut Capacity 40%
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2020, 16:39
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbubba
What were United's moves with ending hiring that you are referencing? In the past United has usually honored job offers years later when hiring resumed. They wanted you to be current on something, not an easy task in a downturn market flooded with airline pilots.

Even if they get furloughed a couple of days later (I've seen it happen) it's a good idea to show up for class to get that seniority number.
Bubba,

The way I heard/saw it told was that UAL cancelled a class of 23 pilots 3 days before the start date leaving those 23 people high and dry after they'd cut bait from their previous employers. Very poor form.

These 23 didn't have the option of showing up and getting a seniority number. Perhaps they'll be recalled to a class at some future date but that doesn't make up for the short term heartlessness of stranding 23 pilots who moved mountains to get to UAL.

In the overall scheme of UAL, honoring one class date and adding 23 more pilots before they stopped hiring would be insignificant. Quitting your previous employer to go to UAL only to be stranded 3 days before the promised class date is not insignificant to those 23 pilots. It really doesn't even make any difference how those 23 people weathered the event, it's slimy behavior on UAL's part.

And yes, I'd imagine it's been done before by some other airline. We'll see how DL manages their similar circumstances of stopping hiring with class dates scheduled and promised.