PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two engine G/A climb gradient B737Ng
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2020, 14:30
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunno about other airlines, i was always trained to only take the one engine out go around climb gradient into account, same as we use one engine out performance as limiting for the take off case. I think i have never seen the all engine go around performance in any of the planes i have flown so far.

Anyway, if we do the landing performance (for the last 15 years on an EFB of course), and do not achieve the required go around gradient, we have the choice of either negotiating with ATC if airspace or ATC structures are the limiting factor, take a higher minimum, or use the take off engine failure procedure as the one engine out go around procedure. The latter being the preferred option.

There are several airports where that is a common thing for us, one example of that is FRA on the northern runway (25R, 5% up to 2000 ft, 07L 4.6% up to 3500 ft). Those rates are usually not achievable in an A319, which would lead us to use the one engine out take off procedure, which of course is not available for that runway as it is a landing only runway. In that case we have to advise ATC that we cannot accept that runway and have to land on a different one.

In the above case, we would be forced to use the higher minimum, which could lead to problems depending on cloud base.