Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rog747
Great Stuff -
Sterling Airways owned Tjareborg
Scanair (and Transair Sweden) was Vingressor
Conair was Spies
Rog

Thanks for that, I thought that Sterling Airlines was connected to Tjaereborg. (Tjaereborg was founded in 1962 and was based in and named after the village of the same name near to Esbjerg in Denmark)

Vingressor still exists today but operates as Ving and is owned by the Nordic Leisure Group which also owns Globetrotter, Spies, Tjaereborg and the airline Sunclass Airlines. The parent company is the Norwegian Strawberry Group.

Scanair was formed in June 1961 and was partially owned by SAS Scandinavian Airline System.

On the 01 January 1994, Conair owned by the Danish Spies Group and Scanair owned by the Scandinavian Leisure Group were merged into one airline. The new airline was named Premair A/S.

​​​​​​The Danish Spies Holdings still existed after it's airline merged with Scanair operating as they did before as Spies Holidays.

In 1994 not long after the merger of Conair and Scanair, Scandinavian Leisure Group was purchased by the British tour operator Airtours.

In 1996 Airtours Group purchased the Danish Spies Holdings.

In 2002 the Airtours Group rebranded under the new company wide banner of My Travel Group.

In 2002 the Airtours Group rebranded their Scandinavian operations as My Travel Scandinavia A/S. My Travel Scandinavia A/S included several Scandinavian operators such as Tjaereborg, Spies, Sunquest, Ving and the airline Premair.

On the 12 February 2007, My Travel Group announced that they had agreed terms to merge with Thomas Cook. After the merger the new company was known as the Thomas Cook Group.

In 2008 Premair was renamed to Thomas Cook Airlines Scandinavia.

In September 2019 Thomas Cook Group went bankrupt.

In November 2019 Thomas Cook Airlines Scandinavia was purchased by the Norwegian investor Petter Stordalen and his company the Strawberry Group and rebranded as Sunclass Airlines.

Sunclass Airlines still uses the original DK code and Viking call sign, so one way or another Scanair lives on albeit as Sunclass Airlines.

I have to admit that I absolutely love subjects such as this 😉

Last edited by Sotonsean; 15th Mar 2020 at 10:28.