PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2020, 09:26
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VariablePitchP
The problem with this view is that it crumbles under the slightest questioning.

I highly doubt that after the first week of the the second world war people were sticking their heads in the sand and laughing it off on the basis that by that point no one had actually been killed yet and therefore bee stings, shark attacks and accidents involving ice cream dispensers had still killed more people, and therefore we’re a bigger threat to life?

More people die of flu than in car crashes in the U.K., I suspect you still wear a seatbelt... And more people die of old age than cancer, I still think it’s worthwhile researching cancer treatments though!

Flu is not COVID, they are totally totally different and one has zero effect on the other one. Apathy is more dangerous than the virus itself.

Not a daft comparison at all. Swine flu, 10 years ago, infected over a billion people. Only reason there wasn’t 50 million dead as with the Spanish flu was luck as it wasn’t a serious disease. You may think that people in the 1900s lived in caves and still worshipped trees but sadly not. They had exactly the same number of ways to cure Spanish flu as we have for COVID. Zero, nada, zilch. Tell me again that it’s a daft comparison.
Ok, you asked for it, it's a daft comparison. Luck had nothing to do with it. Years of medical research developing a range of broad spectrum antibiotics to treat the underlying health conditions like pneumonia thus making those infected more resilient to the virus itself was the reason 50 million didn't die.

Protect the elderly, vulnerable and those with underlying health conditions which make them susceptible to Covid at all costs of course. The rest of the world needs to carry on and quite frankly, get a bloody grip.

Back to the thread.....

I feel very sorry for those that have been caught in no mans land and only hope their current airlines allow them to rescind resignations. All I would say is that the news coming out of BA is very very sobering. I've been in 5 years or so and for the first time in my career I'm fearing for my job. Next week will probably reveal wide ranging survival measures. It's not going to be pretty.

Best of luck all.

2W2R