PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ultra low RRPM
Thread: Ultra low RRPM
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2020, 23:50
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
“3/ as an aerospace engineer “

That,and the other remarks reminded of a famous tidbit of Sikorsky historical lore, which goes as follows,with my apologies:

During the preliminary testing of the S-56,Sikorsky ran into a number of problems adopting the P&W R-2800 engnes in pods. Doing a ground run one day at the South Avenue plant an engine fire enveloped one of the pods.It was extinguished without losing the test aircraft. The Ch Pilot at the time was Dimitri ( Jimmy ) Viner, who had started out cleaning the hangar etc over in the Long Island fixed wing days. Jimmy was known for his “direct” communication. He had been running the ship when this happened. After things quieted down,Jimmy asked that the design engineer get down there ASAP and when he showed up,Jimmy said “ Son, do you have an engineering degree ? “ The engineer replied “ Yes Sir,I do.I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering from XXX University”. Jimmy said to him “Son, I advise you to get your F........g money back”. Jimmy later made the first flight on the S-56 with Jim Chudars,who was the Asst Ch.Pilot when I signed on in 1966.