PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2.com Statement: Spain - All flights cancelled
Old 14th Mar 2020, 23:23
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RexBanner
Indeed. Something stinks to high heaven here. What we are doing now in proportion to the threat risks tanking the economy worse than the Great Depression. Civil disorder, possibly riots on the streets and the potential for warfare. All to save a limited number of deaths in what will mostly be the elderly age bracket. Greater good anyone? If I was more conspiratorially minded I would say it reeks of a greater illuminati style plot but I’m sounding crazy. Or am I? This whole situation confuses the hell out of me.
Rex, I think you are being unnecessarily dramatic here. Clearly, the world economy is suffering and will continue to suffer as time progresses; this is an inevitable corollary of the covid situation and government reactions to it. It is the duty of those governments and society generally to mitigate the affects of the coronovirus in so far as is possible but deaths in large numbers and rising exponentially, at least initially, must be anticipated. Obviously, some sections of the populace will be more susceptible to contracting this affliction having its genesis in disgusting conditions - no doubt the blame game will follow - and the elderly, quite obviously, will be an immediate target. I'm 80 and in the line of fire, although, thankfully, I'm in excellent health and am sanguine about my personal position. Nevertheless, I have to accept that I may succumb although not as a consequence of my age.

The "authorities", whilst publicly lamenting the loss of so much life, privately will be quietly pleased as a substantial number of deaths is required to build up the herd immunity necessary to combat this virus of which we have neither knowledge nor experience - at least not in the human world. Those measures to which you allude, generally speaking, have been preventative in nature and designed to allow a progressive spread of the virus so as not to overwhelm supportive services with a major onslaught. Nevertheless, spread of the disease must be contained wherever possible and inevitably, this will mean serious disruption. To suggest that this world-wide reaction to the conovirus is all to save a limited number of deaths in what will mostly be the elderly age bracket is infantile.

Frankly, I think there is a greater chance of civil disorder if the current situation is seen as an opportunity to delay or reverse agreed Brexit arrangements.