PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We're safer now because of...
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2020, 23:11
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I approve aircraft modifications for a living (issue STC's). I was always inclined to demand more than just the minimum demonstration of design compliance for passenger restraints and seats. It was my sense that if the passenger survived in the crash, they would have a better chance to survive. Then, two and a half years ago, it was my time, I ripped the seat belt fittings right out of the structure of the cabin as I was ejected through the windshield, as the non flying pilot. So now, any plane I approve will have cabin safety well in excess of the requirement, as I can explain first hand why it's beneficial!

When I flew as a copilot in the early '80's, CRM was fresh, new, and needed. During the only real emergency we had as a crew together, I applied it, and flew the plane, while the Captain addressed the emergency. I decided that at least one of us should fly! The other emergency I had with that Captain the CRM was all me, as he faded away with apparent food poisoning. Aside from his not participating, the flight otherwise went fine.

There are lessons to be learned from every accident, and many from close calls too! 'Glad you made it through that one towrope!