PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Near Mangalore Airport - Possibly 2 Aircraft down
Old 14th Mar 2020, 12:48
OCTA Aus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
I will ask again.

What is the lowest level of Airservices surveillance coverage at Mangalore ?

Surely pilots who fly there regularly must have an idea.
Probably not an accurate idea. ATC generally won’t let the aircraft know they are identified until after the departure call is given, as we try to not interfere too much during critical phases of flight. Imagine how it would look if someone missed a crucial CTAF call just because we told them they were identified...

As for what would have most likely prevented this, well Hoosten is correct. E at 1200ft AGL would have done the job and is probably achievable. I’m assuming the inbound aircraft was inbound for air work, so probably what would have happened for the separation would be clear the inbound to a level 1000ft above the outbound aircraft LSALT, and then procedurally clear the outbound aircraft. They would have been separated while in IMC. I’m not totally certain, but I believe that is something like what Hoosten is suggesting. Nobody would have been unduly delayed, it isn’t particularly difficult, and the separation is done by the professional paid $200k per year to do it.

As for Unicom, they are very rare over here. I am slightly surprised MNG doesn’t have an AFRU though.